Post by B-613 Command on Feb 11, 2016 18:35:15 GMT -5
I spent years working with electrical engineers who build this stuff. Whenever I would walk over on "the mat" (an anti-static floor mat covering the room they work in) I knew not to ever touch anything over there without first grounding myself with "a leash" (a grounding wrist collar that wires you to the tables ground). Never ever just pick up a circuit board - static electricity can destroy the tiny components inside of it. The Emo probably has some sensitive circuits inside of it but the Krell I'm not really worried about damaging the Krell with static electricity more like worried i'll get hum from a charge buildup.
Maybe it's just me and my official Super Dork flannel long johns but it seems like i'm always generating static electricity. Every time I touch something metallic in here I get a little shock. I try to be careful about grabbing remotes and touching things like the USB flash drive stuck into my BluRay. I've tried to learn to touch something like a lamp post and ground myself before touching my equipment. I don't always remember.
It never occurred to me that I could get a jolting shock from that bad boy. I was more worried about small furry critters. I'm going to try to get by without using the ground-breaker if I can. For now the hum is so low I cannot hear it unless the unit is muted and even then if the heat comes I can't hear it over that.
I was getting a popping sound from my fronts whenever I changed channels on my TiVo using the Emo before. Not getting that now. Not complaining just an observation.
Krell Showcase / Sonus faber Venere / Klipsch SW-310 TiVo HD XL / Sony BDP-S370