Which should I choose? XMC-1, XMC-2 or RMC-1L Feb 3, 2020 18:41:22 GMT -5
Post by rsi77 on Feb 3, 2020 18:41:22 GMT -5
I was shopping for a Pre-amp upgrade in order to be able to integrate my new DAC (TEAC NT-505) into my HT system and do it justice. At first I was looking at Marantz because of the purported SQ improvement in some of their "newer" models (7703+, 8802, 8805), but became aware of the Emotiva offering and now am probably going this route. However I am not sure which one to choose. Here is my current usage:
- HT with 4k/3d/HD Blu Ray collection, or streaming via LG TV
- I currently run 2 x HDMI out of Oppo 203--1 to LG tv for video, and 2nd to Marantz 6006 for HT sound
- 7.1 speaker system with no interest in adding more speakers
- Music via Roon ROCK + Roon endpoint = TEAC NT-505; SQ of 2.1 listening is very important
- Roon rock has USB streaming capability, So ability to play HD USB stream is a big +
As I see it now there is no reason to choose more than the XMC-1, even if it doesn't have the HDMI upgrade, UNLESS there is a substantial SQ upgrade for 2ch analog signal path with the XMC-2, or RMC-1L.
Does anybody see it differently?
I will never be switching between HDMI inputs because I have only the Oppo feeding HDMI to the pre/pro. If I do any switching it will be between HDMI (Oppo) / 2ch Analog In (NT-505 DAC) / USB streaming input (Roon ROCK). Is switching between these other inputs faster than the HDMI switching I've been reading about?
Possible advantages of XMC-2 or RMC-1L
- SQ improvement for 7.1 sound (via HDMI input from Oppo) due to better DACs used
- SQ improvement for 2.1 sound (via NT-505 DAC analog out) -- Is there a noticeable improvement here?
- DSD streaming from Roon ROCK: as I understand it XMC-2 can stream DSD USB, but XMC-1 can only stream PCM (192kHz) -- is this correct? (This is not a big deal to me)
I appreciate any comments, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.